Scott's leasing practice encompasses office, industrial, retail and ground leasing from the landlord and tenant perspective. He also has significant experience in purchases and sales, development, construction and borrower-side financing.
Scott's environmental practice concerns hazardous waste matters affecting real property, as well as their effect upon purchases and sales, leases and loans. These matters include negotiation and documentation of holdback, risk allocation, indemnity, clean up and access agreements between private parties (for example, buyer/seller, landlord/tenant, borrower/lender, and neighboring owners), advising clients on regulatory requirements and compliance issues, and coordination with litigators on the mediation, prosecution and defense of environmental claims.
He served as a Planning Commissioner for the Town of Corte Madera, California from 2001-2006, and as Chair of the Commission from 2004-2006. Scott has served as an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association and the Bar Association of San Francisco, and as a temporary judge for the San Francisco Municipal Court.
Areas of Expertise:
- Real Estate and Environmental Law
Publications & Presentations:
- "The Art of Law", California Lawyer, December 2005;
- "Ten Important Lessons I Learned From My Clients:, Los Angeles Daily Journal, November 22, 2005;
- "Long Leases: A Lawyer's Reflections:, Office & Commercial Real Estate magazine, Summer 2005;
- "An Approach to Hazardous Waste Liabilities in Real Estate Transactions", California Real Property Journal, March 1987
- "Liability of Landowners for Toxic Wastes" (co-author), The Docket, August 1985.
Affiliations and Memberships:
- State Bar of California, Real Property and Environmental Law Sections
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Served as Co-Chair of Environmental Law Subsection of the Real Property section of the State Bar of California (1988-1989)
- Participated in Real Estate Neutrals, a Northern California dispute resolution referral panel for experienced real estate practitioners (1996-1997)
Education and Certifications:
- J.D. - Hastings College of the Law, 1980
- M.A. - University of California, Los Angeles, 1975
- B.A. - U. C. Berkeley, 1972